What precious botanical oil requires around 1,000 pounds of handpicked flowers to be produced? I’ll give you a hint — its fragrance can be described as a deep, intoxicating mix of citrus and floral aromas.
Its scent isn’t the only reason you’ll want to read on. This essential oil is excellent at soothing agitated nerves and is especially effective at relieving feelings of grief and despair. Plus, you can actually reduce your blood pressure and cortisol levels just by smelling this wondrous oil. (1) Give up? I’m talking about neroli essential oil, which comes straight from the flowers of an orange tree
6 Impressive Benefits of Neroli Essential Oil
1. Lowers Inflammation & Pain
Neroli has been shown to be an effective and therapeutic choice for the management of pain and inflammation. Results of one study in the Journal of Natural Medicines suggest that neroli possesses biologically active constituents that have the ability to reduce acute inflammation and chronic inflammation even more so. It was also found that neroli essential oil has the ability to reduce central and peripheral sensitivity to pain.
2. Reduces Stress & Improve Symptoms of Menopause
The effects of inhaling neroli essential oil on menopausal symptoms, stress and estrogen in postmenopausal women were investigated in a 2014 study. Sixty-three healthy postmenopausal women were randomized to inhale 0.1 percent or 0.5 percent neroli oil, or almond oil (control), for five minutes twice daily for five days in the Korea University School of Nursing study.
Compared with the control group, the two neroli oil groups showed significantly lower diastolic blood pressure as well as improvements in pulse rate, serum cortisol levels and estrogen concentrations. The findings indicate that inhalation of neroli essential oil helps relieve menopausal symptoms, increase sexual desire and reduce blood pressure in postmenopausal women. In general, neroli essential oil can be an effective intervention to reduce stress and improve the endocrine system.
3. Decreases Blood Pressure & Cortisol Levels
A study published in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine investigated the effects of using essential oil inhalation on blood pressure and salivary cortisol levels in 83 prehypertensive and hypertensive subjects at regular intervals for 24 hours. The experimental group was asked to inhale an essential oil blend that included lavender, ylang-ylang, marjoram and neroli. Meanwhile, the placebo group was asked to inhale an artificial fragrance for 24, and the control group received no treatment.
What do you think researchers found? The group that smelled the essential oil mix including neroli had significantly decreased systolic and diastolic blood pressure compared with the placebo group and the control group after treatment. The experimental group also showed significant decreases in the concentration of salivary cortisol. It was concluded that the inhalation of neroli essential oil can have immediate and continuous positive effects on blood pressure and stress reduction.
4. Exhibits Antimicrobial & Antioxidant Activities
The fragrant blossoms of the bitter orange tree don’t just produce an oil that smells amazing. Research shows that the chemical composition of neroli essential oil has both antimicrobial and antioxidant powers.
Antimicrobial activity was exhibited by neroli against six kinds of bacteria, two types of yeast and three different fungi in a study published in the Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. Neroli oil exhibited a marked antibacterial activity, especially against Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Neroli essential oil also exhibited a very strong antifungal activity compared with the standard antibiotic (nystatin).
5. Repairs & Rejuvenates Skin
If you’re looking to buy some essential oils to add to your beauty routine, you’ll definitely want to consider neroli essential oil. It’s known for its ability to regenerate the skin cells and improve the elasticity of skin. It also helps maintain the right oil balance in the skin, making it an excellent choice for all skin types.
Due to its ability to revive skin at the cellular level, neroli essential oil can be beneficial for wrinkles, scars and stretch marks. Any skin condition caused by or related to stress should also respond well to the use of neroli essential oil since it has wonderful overall healing and calming abilities. It can also be useful for treating bacterial skin conditions and rashes since it has antimicrobial ability (as mentioned above).
6. Acts as an Anti-seizure & Anticonvulsant Agent
Seizures involve changes in the brain’s electrical activity. This can cause dramatic, noticeable symptoms — or even no symptoms at all. The symptoms of a severe seizure are often widely recognized, including violent shaking and loss of control.
A recent 2014 study was designed to investigate the anticonvulsant effect of neroli. The study found that neroli possesses biologically active constituents that have anticonvulsant activity, which supports the use of the plant in the management of seizures.
12 Uses for Neroli Essential Oil
- Acne treatment: Since neroli essential oil has powerful antibacterial properties, it’s a great home remedy for acne to treat breakouts. Wet a cotton ball with water (to provide some dilution to the essential oil), and then add a few drops of neroli essential oil. Dab the cotton ball on the problem area gently once a day until the blemish clears up.
- Purify the air: Diffuse neroli essential oil in your home or office to clean the air and breathe in its anti-germ properties.
- Soak away stress: To naturally remedy anxiety, depression, hysteria, panic, shock and stress, use 3–4 drops of neroli essential oil in your next bath or foot bath.
- Alleviate headaches: Apply a few drops
- Clear your head and reduce stress: Take a sniff of neroli essential oil while commuting to or from work. It’s sure to make rush hour a bit more bearable and your outlook a little brighter.
- Sweet dreams: Put a drop of the essential oil on a cotton ball and tuck it inside your pillowcase to help you relax into a great night’s slumber.
- to a hot or cold compress to soothe a headache, especially one caused by tension.
- Lower blood pressure: By using neroli essential oil in a diffuser or just taking a few sniffs of it right out of the bottle, studies have shown blood pressure as well as cortisol levels can be lowered.
- Regenerate skin: Mix a drop or two of neroli essential oil with an application of an unscented face cream or oil (like jojoba or argan), and apply as normal.
- PMS relief: For a natural remedy for PMS cramps, mix a few drops of neroli into your bathwater.
- Natural antispasmodic: Use 2–3 drops in a diffuser or 4–5 drops in a blended massage oil and rub it over the lower abdomen to improve colon problems, diarrhea and nervous dyspepsia.
- Ease labour: Childbirth is certainly far from easy, but the essential oil of neroli can be used to help with fear and anxiety during labour. Diffuse it in the air, or include it in a massage oil for the lower back.
- Decrease stretch marks: Add a few drops of neroli essential oil to a cream, lotion or oil to reduce stretch marks and broken capillaries on the skin
Possible Side Effects of Neroli Essential Oil
As always, you should never use neroli essential oil undiluted, in your eyes or in other mucus membranes. Do not take neroli essential oil internally unless you’re working with a qualified practitioner. As with all essential oils, keep neroli essential oil out of the reach of children.
Before applying neroli essential oil to your skin, always perform a small patch test to an insensitive part of the body (like your forearm) to make sure you don’t experience any negative reactions. Neroli is a nontoxic, non-sensitizing, nonirritant and non-phototoxic essential oil, but a patch test should always be performed to be on the safe side.
If you find that you fail the patch test and neroli irritates your skin, unfortunately you should discontinue use of neroli essential oill. If you do pass the patch test, then you can use neroli essential oil more widespread after diluting it with a carrier oil.