Also known as baking soda, Sodium Bicarbonate is a staple of many kitchens and is a well-known ingredient in baking, cooking and household cleaning. But this simple and totally natural fine white powder is also a therapeutic powerhouse when it comes to your health and wellbeing.
Baking soda comes from the natural mineral, natron and is known for its alkalising, exfoliating, deodorising and antiseptic properties as well as its ability to cleanse the skin and soothe muscles.
Benefits of Baking Soda:
In addition to being an effective household cleaner and baking agent, Sodium Bicarbonate is a versatile addition to your bathroom cabinet. As an alkaline, baking soda works to reduce acid in the body and help neutralize your PH levels while its cleansing and antiseptic properties make it a natural solution for a host of health and beauty needs.
Bathing – added to a soothing hot bath and baking soda can help to ease away the day’s stresses and strains. The benefits of adding baking soda to a bath include:
- Soothes sore, aching muscles
- Alleviates strain and fatigue after exercise
- Helps to detox and relax the body
- Calms irritated skin, including bites and sunburn
- Softens rough and calloused skin
- Neutralizes acids and acts as an antiseptic
- Reduces inflammation
- Water softening
Other therapeutic uses:
- Skincare – use as a cleanser and exfoliator to gently smooth and soothe the skin
- Deodorant – baking soda reduces acidity and absorbs odours
- A natural antacid – helps to calm and reduce indigestion, thanks to its ability to neutralise stomach acid
- Toothpaste – use as a paste to gently clean teeth and as a natural mouthwash to help to freshen breath.
How to use our Sodium Bicarbonate
One of the most effective ways to tap into the therapeutic benefits of Sodium Bicarbonate is to add it to a hot bath once a week, then lie back and relax for 20 minutes as it works to soothe and cleanse your body.
Use with Epsom Salts add a few drops of essential oil along with half a cup of baking soda and a cup of Epsom Salts to draw out toxins, reduce stress and balance your PH levels.